Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Healthy Lifestyle

To those that don't know me, I am a 21 year old college graduate who recently fell in love with the fitness and health industry. I became so interested that I began researching and educating myself on having a 'healthy lifestyle.' I read countless of articles about good carbs, bad carbs, protein, healthy fats, fiber, sugar, etc. All this was so interesting to me, and at the same time I became disgusted with what I was filling my body with.

I have always been very busy with school, two jobs, a house to take care of, and bills to pay that I allowed my health to take the back seat. In the mornings I would rarely eat breakfast, and if I did it was cereal. For lunch, I would have something small that didn't need much prep. During college it would be something like cheez-its and an apple because it was easy and handy. If I was working at the restaurant during dinner, I would either have some bread or have the cooks make me some pasta. Then at 9:00 or so when I would get home, I would snack on my beloved Lay's Classic Potato chips. These chips have been a HUGE staple in my diet because of the convenience. Little did I know, this was all about to change!


I was happy with my appearance - weighing 125lbs and 5'2" wearing size 2 jeans. Who wouldn't be?! Once I began learning about having a healthy lifestyle - I was all for it! On January 21st 2013, I began the Insanity Workout and fell in love. It was tough, and I mean tough. The workouts are killer, but once you start you DON'T want to stop. It is very addicting, so addicting that once I completed round one I started round two directly after. The strength and endurance you build.. at home.. with no equipment is absolutely remarkable. It took me a while to see any physical changes, but I was seeing "non-scale" victories. My clothes were fitting better, I was able to do more reps, I had more energy, etc. It wasn't until I changed my eating habits that I began seeing progress. 

"You can't out train a bad diet." 
I could not express this quote enough! No matter how many sit-ups or crunches you do, you will NOT get rid of your 'belly' or your love handles. Also, there is no such thing as spot-reducing. You can't pick and choose where you lose weight from, or else everyone would be doing it. In order to lose fat, you need to have a clean diet. In other words, lean meats, whole grains, fruits, veggies, nuts, sweet potatos, oats, etc. Absolutely no processed foods, added sugar, or soda. By cutting out soda alone, you will see progress - I promise. I will be adding a grocery list shortly to help all of you who choose to better themselves and live a happy, healthy life. Choosing to have a healthy lifestyle has been one of the greatest things I have done for myself, and my health. I have never felt better!

Thank you to everyone who has came to me and asked me for my help and my advice. Thank you to everyone who has acknowledged my progress. Thank you to everyone who has supported me in my new lifestyle. It is YOU who motivates me, and keeps me going. I will be using this blog to motivate you, help you, educate you, and most importantly be there for you in case you have any questions. Be sure to follow me on Instagram for daily inspiration - @makenzie_costley

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see more of your post! Especially your shopping list && and inform me on the healthy food to eat.
    ♥ Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria!! I have actually created a new blog and would love for you to check it out. It will have the same content, but it will be more 'health' oriented! Thanks for your support!

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry - it's http://livehealthybstrong.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. I really like this blog, It's always nice when you can not only be informed,but also get knowledge,from these type of blogs.

    work life balance & good habits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ricky!! I have actually created a new blog and would love for you to check it out. It will have the same content, but it will be more 'health' oriented! Thanks for your support! http://livehealthybstrong.blogspot.com

      Delete